Buy-to-let property investment
Probably one of the most popular types of property investments. Buy-to-let is attractive to a wide range of investors. It’s particularly suitable if…
- You prefer investments that are tangible rather than stocks and shares
- You are willing to tie up your money for a long period of time
- You understand that property prices can go down as well as up
- You are willing to take the risk that you might not earn a profit on your investment
- You understand and accept that there are additional risks with borrowing money to buy a property
- You understand and accept the costs and time involved in owning and running a buy-to-let property and how this can affect your potential return
How does buy-to-let property investment work?
To buy a residential buy-to-let property, you can use your own cash or take out a buy-to-let mortgage with a cash deposit.
Bear in mind that taking out a mortgage comes with risks – for example, if you need to sell the property for a loss, the sale price might not cover all that you owe on the mortgage. You would be liable for the difference.
In addition, tenants can and do leave, leading to ‘voids’ in your income. If there is no rent coming in, you still need to make your mortgage repayments.
When you buy a property, there are two ways to earn a profit:
- Rental yield – what your tenant(s) pay in rent, minus any maintenance and running costs, eg repairs and agents fees.
- Capital growth – the profit you earn if you sell your property for more than you paid for it.
When buying an investment property you’ll need to cover all the costs of buying, including:
- Survey fees
- Solicitor’s fees
- Stamp duty land tax (applies to properties that cost over £125,000)
- If you already own a property you will have to pay an additional 3% on top of each Stamp Duty band
- Sales or letting agents fees
- Maintenance or refurbishment fees
When you sell the property you will have legal and marketing fees to pay.
Before you buy
Before you make any decision about investing in property you should take expert advise and research fully the different investment options available that will meet your investment goals. That’s where we come in! Our team can advise you on all aspects of property investment.
Interested in property investment? Why not schedule a meeting with one of our experienced team by calling us: 0208 224 4020 or by completing the contact form.